10 Ways to Find Your Unique Place in This World
- Take a class. Audit one at the local college just for fun. You might learn something new and surprise yourself by expanding your talents! Maybe you never got your degree and you know that you need to go back to school so you can do the job you love instead of the job that simply pays the bills. Go for it! (Take it from someone who is in the process of doing just that!)
- Answer this question: If I had a million dollars, what would I do with the money? The response just might open your eyes to a cause that you’re passionate about , a country that you feel connected to, or a people group that you care deeply for. It also will show you what you value in life.
- Volunteer at a local non profit, soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Maybe you would rather work with animals? I’m sure the local pet adoption agency needs people to help out also. Being around environments that causes us to give back inspires and motivates us to do something purposeful with our days. It might just spark a new idea for community change within you.
- Go to church. For real. 🙂 Church is where the body of Christ gathers for two reasons: to love God and to love people. Corporate fellowship is vital to our growth as a person and in church we learn more about what God has called us to do. Ministry opportunities abound in most churches. Don’t discount cleaning up the sanctuary after service or working in the parking lot. Every job is important in the Kingdom of God and faithfulness in the small things is what opens doors for the big things.
- Learn a new craft. Or if you are already naturally gifted in something, take lessons to get better. A teachable heart is so important to living in the fullness of your destiny. Even multi-million dollar leaders know the importance of learning and re-learning the principles that apply to their business. Do you like to sing? Dance? Play an instrument? Write? Playing sports? Cook? I guarantee you can find someone that is teaching what you are interested in. If you can’t afford lessons, then do what I did at one time: YOUTUBE! So many talented people post teaching videos on YouTube these days for free. Take advantage of this modern age we live in!
- Go on a trip to a place that is totally different from anything you have ever known. Why? Because it will open your eyes to a whole new world and change your perspective on life as you have always known it. When I visited the Philippines last year, I already knew that I wanted to do world missions one day. But when I went and saw the poverty firsthand, I was overwhelmed. My desire to be a missionary was no longer a far off concept, it was a concrete fact that I was going to fulfill because of what I saw. Travel changes you.
- Read a book or watch a movie on a topic that provokes you. I’ll give you two examples that changed the course of my life journey: the documentary called “Invisible Children“. This film completely wrecked me and it was so uncomfortable to watch. It confronts the harsh reality of child soldiers in the impoverished land of East and Central Africa. I was never the same after this movie and God used this film to ignite a huge love for Africa in my heart. The other example is a book called “Scars and Stilettos” by former sex worker, Harmony Dust. This book is the story of a girl who got caught in the sex industry due to a horrible past of sexual abuse at the hands of trusted people. She turned her life around when she found Jesus and started a ministry for ex sex workers and trafficking victims. I have never viewed the women in this industry with condemnation again- only love and a desire to help them get out.
- Do something on your bucket list. Maybe it’s skydiving or climbing Mount Everest. Maybe it’s to tell an old friend that you betrayed “I’m sorry.” It could be to audition for American Idol or interview for a totally outlandish job. Whatever it is, it will increase boldness within you to do things you never thought you could do. This will empower you to dream big and keep going after your goals.
- Keep a journal. Write down everything. Prayers, to do lists, long and short-term goals, things you’re thankful for, things you’re angry about, letters to your younger self, lists, lists, lists… I could go on and on. It’s SO important to write down everything because the first step in getting anything accomplished is making it official on paper.
- Lastly, be real with yourself. If you don’t have any desire to take the necessary steps to get you from where you are now to where you want to be, then you’re not going to be any farther along in your journey tomorrow then you are today. The ones who last are the ones who have the tenacity to keep going when things get tough. If you give up at the slightest hiccup in your plan, well, you’re gonna have a hard time getting your desired results. Be you, don’t apologize for it, but don’t let it hold you back either!